Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Letter to Caleb "Curtleb" Cronbaugh

Curtleb-

I just wanted to let you know that even though you're just one person, the world felt empty once you were gone. It is crazy to think that you and my dad died on the exact same day. It is even more crazy that John Smith was the first to identify you, when he also was a witness to my fathers death. I always knew we had this connection since elementary school that would make us friends for eternity.
My first recollection of our friendship is little league baseball, the Maroon Tycoons. I remember the game we made a huge comeback and it was tied. You were on first base and I was on third. You stole a base but intentionally got in a pickle, so I ran home and we won the game, you remember that? My grandpa also told me the story about the time our team autographed a baseball. "Why are we signin' this ball?" you asked. Coach Grandpa Ron replied, "Someday you guys could become professional baseball players, and this ball could be worth a lot of money". You disagreed, "I don't want to play pro baseball, I want to be a farmer, just like my dad."
Most kids dream was to play in the World Series, but not you, and that proves that your dad was your hero. One of the strongest guys I know too, and going through all this I realize why you look up to him so much. Sometimes this world makes no sense, and it allows bad things to happen to some of the BEST people. I used to believe my mother was the strongest woman alive, but I'd have to give your mom Brenda the upper hand. She's endured so much in such a short amount a time along with the rest of the family. I almost envy the relationship you and your brother have, I wish my brother looked up to me half as much as you looked up to Chad.
The world felt much more empty once you left us. It seems as though everytime I close my eyes I get a detailed picture of that contagious smie of yours. I had better a chance not yawning when you'd yawn, than not smiling when you'd smile.
Remember the summer the Paradise Pit gang had a bonfire every other night? That was by far the best damn summer of my life and I'm glad I got to spend it with you. Since then we have partied on a pretty steady basis. I never would have expected it at first but we have had some deep conversations. I felt that when we would talk, you would always listen instead of just waiting your turn to speak like most. I'm sorry about the last time we spoke, when I broke our Paradise Pit Promise that has NEVER broken: " I swear on P.P. all of the gang- Brandon, Joe, Greg, Ben, you and I are going to have a bonfire, just us guys". You were pumped and agreed, but it will never happen again, and that is a pain I will deal with every single day when I wake up and realize that this wasn't a dream.
I just want you to know everyone down here is lost without you, and we all miss you so much. If you could make sure Peanut, Spunk, and my dad are staying out of trouble up there that'd be great, and go ahead and tell them I love and miss all three. There will not be one day that goes by where I don't think about you Caleb.
You weren't the biggest, the strongest, or the fastest, but you were an animal on the field and always gave 110% in everything you did. Although you were fearless, a warrior, you had no enemies. You didn't waste your time hating on the people you didn't like, you just used that time to show love to the ones you loved the most-Marissa your girlfriend, every family member, and everyone of your friends.
Parties will never be the same, and I'm really going to miss you swerving at me on the highway. I swear you did that every single time you saw me on the road. I love you like a brother man, we've laughed, we've cried, we've fought but we always made up in less than 10 minutes. I miss you so much and even though you left way too soon, its comforting to know you're in a much better place than we are. I can't wait to see you up there bro, I hope you help me and everyone else make our dreams become a reality.

Dream Big CY

Love, Corey Yardley
PP4L

No comments:

Post a Comment