Saturday, August 22, 2009

Memoir- Rough Draft Part II.

II.

My right knee was pumping up and down from anticipation. She greeted Mr. Samuelson and I with a smile before she settled in. I told her what he said and she looked completely dumbfounded throughout the entire story. It turns out that there was no truth in my teachers lecture about "self-defense". I can remember mom starting off with, "Corey your dad was not a bad guy so don't you ever let anyone make you think differently. You know John Smith, his best friend?"

I nodded to her rhetorical question. "John's girlfriend was hit by the man who murdered your dad, so Chad, John, and another friend went looking for him to straighten things out. I won't lie to you Cor, someone was going to fight him, but that's how things were settled back then." "They went to his trailer court and Chad stepped out of the car and was shot."

I was relieved and felt one-hundred percent better. We weren't finished though, because our principal wanted to sit down and talk with the teacher, mom, and myself. He apologized, and I accepted it right away but I asked for one thing: to tell the truth tomorrow. He said sorry to me the next day at school, but never apologized for spreading gossip. What he did was wrong and something I will never forget, but I do forgive him. He helped me figure out a lot that day, and finally mom and I could talk about him instead of avoiding the subject.

This incident at school was near the time I was living at my grandparents house, instead of Victor. My grandma and grandpa are huge influences on my life, and I couldn't have made it this far without them. To this day they have always been there for me whether I needed a helping hand, or an open bed. I can remember what my grandmother wrote on my graduation card, "We are so proud of you, the door is ALWAYS open for you." It's also easy growing up when everyone that surrounded me was willing to help me out. I'm rarely in a situation where I have no one to turn to, and I'm very grateful of that. Even though I always had a place to stay, I could never find a true home once we moved from Marengo.

My senior year went by too fast. My favorite Christmas present was given to me that year. My mom planned a vacation to Florida for the two of us during Spring Break. The trip was something we both needed, because we were beginning to grow farther and farther apart from each other since the move. Her and I could talk for hours about how far we had come, and how unbelievable it really was once we took a step back and looked at it. We took it day-by-day, cherishing everything we were thankful for, but keeping our guard up and taking on any obstacle the world would happen to bring us. We traveled thousands of miles to Florida from Iowa, but we didn't do anything except relax, and that's why we get along so well. It didn't matter how much Florida had to offer, all we did was eat, talk, and lounge. We came upon the subject of me getting a tattoo, and she loved the idea. The problem was, I didn't know what I wanted to get. We came up with corny ideas, and finally I asked one of my good buddies Luis what I should get. I told him about possibly honoring my dad, and he text messaged me, "How about, 'Chad Lives'."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idea seemed perfect, and I didn't think twice. I had no problem knowing that it would be on my left wrist for eternity. Most of my friends couldn't relate to what I went through so it was hard to find someone to talk to, so I wanted to show everyone I wasn't afraid of the subject anymore. My tattoo means that he lives within me, and no matter what I do and do not accomplish, he's along for the ride.
The trip to Florida with my mom was unforgettable, but so were the confrontations that followed. I felt that when we moved I was replaced, as if she didn't need me anymore. I never stayed in Victor and we became more and more distant. Everything seemed so perfect, just the three of us and didn't understand why she wanted this. Finally I called her out on it one day and we got into our first big fight. I asked her if she was happy splitting us up and told her I hated her and didn't need her anymore. She hung up and the next thing I knew my cell phone was deactivated. I was worried she would never talk to me again so I rushed to the medical clinic and saw her sitting alone outside on the phone. She hung up the phone as I approached her and I saw something I hadn't seen before: Mom had tears running down her cheeks. I felt like a monster, I didn't think anything could make her cry. She told me she had enough and couldn't do this anymore. I cried and told her I was sorry, but I really wasn't.
I now know that I was selfish. My mom loves Jamie and he's going to be there for her until the very end. I've grown up and realized I don't want my mom living alone, and I'm really happy that they're together. I love my family now and am glad they still love me, thanks for being so patient with me.
I went to Kirkwood my freshman year and surprisingly loved school. I was on the deans list my first semester (3.25), which surprised everyone considering my GPA at the end of highschool ended up being a 2.5. Of course I still had fun outside of class and went to parties. There is one party that will stick out in my mind forever.
My friends had a little get-together at their house so Jake, Peanut (Alex Slaymaker), Taylor, Chris, and I went together. We were playing beer pong in the garage and everyone was having a great time until a strange looking couple walked into the door. They both looked gothic, but it was near Halloween so they were probably dressed in costumes. No one seemed to recognize them so I asked who they were. They said they came to the wrong house, but I asked if they'd like to hang and have a few beers. The request was declined and they walked out the door. We continued our party as if nothing happened but we heard someone yell and the next thing we knew we were all covered in beer.
Peanut led us outside to figure out what this guys problem was. He must have taken my invitation as sarcasm, because he pointed to me and said he wanted to beat the shit out of me. Before I could even respond, Peanut fired back, "If you even touch Corey, I will beat the shit out of you". Everything seemed to happen so fast so the next thing I knew there was a brawl in the middle of the cul-de-sac. Peanut manhandled him, and won the fight with ease. I patted him on the back and offered him a beer, but I didn't say thank-you. I never got to thank him, because he and my other friend Chris Roberts died in an automobile accident a few months after the fight.
(Continue to Part III below)...

1 comment:

  1. hmmm J..S is a women hater yet was going after someone for hitting a girl. watched him beat on a girl who was pregnant...
    Class of 1991

    ReplyDelete