Thursday, September 3, 2009

Memoir- Rough Draft Part III

I still remember that night vividly. It was a cold winter night, and we had a few snowstorms days before. I was driving around with Bryce Hasley, which was strange because we'd never done that without Chris. It was strange enough that Bryce and Chris weren't together, they were the best of friends.
I asked Bryce where Chris was, and he even called him but I can't remember if he answered. Bryce said we'd meet up with him later most likely. We went to McDonalds and someone had called about an accident near Victor and it looked pretty bad. We didn't think much of it, continued our trip to McDonalds, then we went to Victor. The one night I go to Victor. We were at Brian Schafbuch's house and many people, especially Chris, found the Schafbuch residence a second home. There were over a dozen kids there. In the midst of the commotion someone received a call and was told that Chris and a kid from Marengo were driving, swerved something, and ended up striking a house. We didn't believe it until Brian confirmed the news. Panick struck the entire room. Everyone was completely shocked. My first thought was Jake, my room mate and one of my best friends. I thought he was the kid from Marengo because he hung out with Chris a lot during wrestling season. It was bad enough that Chris had passed away but not knowing which one of my friends was in there with him was an unforgettingly painful feeling. We received another update informing us that it was Alex Slaymaker. This can't be real, my throat swelled shut and my head felt like it was about to erupt. Bryce called Chris' little sister Macie and we picked her up from her house. I couldn't imagine the pain she is feeling as she walked slowly with her head down towards my car. We all just sat there crying in the silence during the short trip back to Schafbuch's place. I dropped Bryce and Macie off, and told them I'd be back. It was around 11 o'clock by the time I got to my mom's house, which is 100 feet from Brian's. I woke up my mom and told her, then cried in her arms for a solid minute while muttering, "it's not fair, why them?"
The word spread around both towns very quickly. For some reason I just needed to drive. I couldn't really do anything else except drive. I was heading towards Marengo without an idea where I was going. I stopped and saw one of my best friends who I probably go back farthest with and she was also Chris' ex-girlfriend: Danelle. I walked into the room and everyone had either tears, make-up, or both running down their faces. I walked in gave hugs, sat down without saying much, then left. I made one more stop out at Brandon's dads farm. It was nice to all be at the same level in terms of knowing Chris and Alex. We talked about the times we had with them, but also looked at it much deeper. We hoped they were in a better place, but I was very skeptical. I hadn't attended church since I was confirmed in 8th grade. I wasn't an athiest by any means, I just wasn't hit with a sign yet.
Macie called me and asked if I could come over, all the Victor kids were there and she wanted me to so I left Brandon's and headed to the Robert's household. The roads were still slick from the snowstorm, but that was the least of my worries at the time. I was so pissed off at life causing me to drive stupid, not a good combination when driving on slick gravel roads. I must have been in a daze and all of a sudden I saw a T-intersection and knew I was going too fast. I had no choice but to slam on the breaks, turn the wheel as far as I could, there wasn't much more to do after that, so I distinctively remember saying out loud, "I need some help up there" and shut my eyes.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment